Penguin Watch Talk

Subject: APZ000f0br

Subject APZ000f0br Full subject data (JSON)

Comments

• Lennoxville by Lennoxville

Did you see the facebook page about Pig Island (Isle des Cochons) and what seems to be a huge die-off of these guys?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

According to this article, the cause is unknown and their number decrease is a mystery to the scientists. It can be caused by climate change but no one seems to know.

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

I didn't realize Lyme disease had spread to other countries. I thought it was a particular species of tick that carries the bacteria.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Sounds like there are a lot of possibilities for the reduction in numbers on that island 😦 Lyme's disease was first identified in

Posted

Old Lyme, Conneticut in the 1970's. It's now found all over Europe. Perhaps an infected person/animal/tick arrived on Pig Island 😃

Posted

• Edyflwr by Edyflwr

Lyme disease is endemic where I live and the tick that carries it is very tiny. The tick population is increasing, too.

Posted

That's something that I didn't realise @Edyflwr - the ticks are very small. You would not necessarily know that you were being bitten 😦

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Adults & nymphs (the tiny ones you both mentioned) transmit diseases incl. Lyme, Babesiosis, & Anaplasmosis. Nymphs are more likely to transmit disease since they are not noticed.

Posted

Thanks @gardenmaeve . I didn't realise that they were dangerous at all stages 😦 Thanks again! 😃

Posted