Penguin Watch Talk

Suggestions for interface

• waynet1084 by waynet1084

Normally in my free time before bed when I'm looking for something to do i play a flash game. Today, i found your website through a popular science article and i was delighted to be helping a scientific cause instead of just wasting time. When I got to your website I noticed that it was set up very similar to a game. There are instructions at the beginning, a quick story, and then you're off. But unlike a game, there doesn't seem to be any progression, there is little to keep me interested. I am constantly looking at new pictures, and some seem similar to previous ones, and some do not. If there was a location name to go along with each picture, it would help keep me interested as to what I'm looking at. Even if the name was made up, "Egg Landing", "Rocky Cove", "Macaroni Island", etc. Also, I have no idea how many photos I looked at today, it would be nice if there was a counter to keep track of today's total and my overall total. Along with that, and this might be a stretch, is a way of setting up goals. A leader board? an average user total? Points? just something to add motivation. These are just suggestions and by no means do I expect anything to come of it, but I do hope something is considered for this, or a future project. I think these citizen scientist projects are awesome

Posted

• leece by leece

If you go to the https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current it will show you how you're doing progress wise on each project.

You have to be logged in to the zooniverse site to do that.

Posted

• leece by leece

And welcome and good on you, by the way!

Posted

• leece by leece

Other projects do have a payoff system - the "Old Weather" gives you a ranking depending on how much of a given ship's logs you've transcribed, so you can become "Captain" of a ship... and others may do other things, I've not explored them all myself.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

As far as I know, Old Weather is the only Zooniverse project with a payoff system. There used to be a leader board in the early days of Galaxy Zoo, but they got rid of that because people were clicking as fast as they could to stay at the top and did not try to classify correctly.

Posted