Penguin Watch Talk

Are we making a dent

• dgkindy by dgkindy

So you have all these pictures and I notice some go back almost 3 years ago and I know each picture will be viewed multiple times by various people but are we even making a dent in the number of pictures? How many pictures were there to begin with and how many today? How many are added every day? How many times it a pictured viewed before it is removed from the list?

Posted

• PenguinHila by PenguinHila scientist, translator

Thanks for your question. The answer is very much yes! So far, we have actually been able to further refine the algorithms based on everyone's clicks, which allows us to reduce the total number of times they each need to be viewed. It is important to note that the project continues to grow. I don't have a quantification at the moment, due to the novel algorithm being incorporated, but it is on the order of 20-30% of images from previous seasons. BUT, importantly, right now my colleagues are in the Falkland Islands, and in a few weeks our team will be in Antarctica and South Georgia, placing more cameras at new sites, and collecting memory cards containing last year's images. So the number of images we need classified will continue to grow!

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Very glad to hear that we won't be running out any time soon! This is way too much fun to want to actually get to end.

Posted