Penguin Watch Talk

Inter species adoption?

• ingramjare by ingramjare

Do you know of any occurrence of one species adopting the eggs of another species?

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Hi, @ingramjare , that's an interesting question!

Each species needs different nesting conditions and food. Each has a slightly different breeding season. It is extremely unlikely that one species would or could adopt the eggs of another species. The only possibility I can think of right now is that it might be possible, though unlikely, when related species such as the different crested penguins are nesting in the same area. (Rockhoppers and Macaroni penguins, for example.)

We observe rookeries that include colonies of Adelies and colonies of Gentoos. The Adelies are more aggressive and have an earlier starting time for their breeding season. The Gentoos sharing the general rookery area are more shy, and start their egg laying later than the Adelie neighbours. By the time the Gentoo chicks are moulting the Adelie chicks have mostly finished moulting and are on their way to swim for the first time.

The two species can be found near each other, but they seem to think of their own species as "Us" and the others as "Them". It's unlikely the two would be interested in each others' eggs. You can learn a lot just by carefully reading the FAQs. On the other hand, perhaps you will one day be studying these wonderful birds and you will be the one to prove otherwise! Thank you for your thoughtful question! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I'd like to add an interesting fact to gardenmaeve'r reply, there are known cases of hybrids between Rockhoppers and Macaroni penguins 😃

Posted

Thanks @yshish! I thought so but had no time then to verify! 😄

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Well, there was a discussion thread about penguin hybrids about a year ago. You can try to search it when you get some time.. I'm too busy for it now.

Posted

Yes, the earlier discussion about hybrids is here Do Penguins Ever Interbreed?, but ingramjare is specifically asking if a penguin of one species would ever claim and adopt the egg of a different species. My explanation was leading up to the observation that penguins of two different species wouldn't be likely to be brooding eggs at the same time, so it is unlikely a penguin of one species would take the egg of another.

Having said that, I do remember reading of occasional penguins trying to claim a skua chick. I'll have to look for that reference.

@ingramjare - Let me do some research to see if I can find a good answer for you. 😃

Posted

Here's what I was remembering, though I would not say it was really an adoption in this case, but a short period of confusion on the part of the penguin. The skua chick was returned to its skua parents by humans observing:

"At least 65 bird species have been known to "adopt" the young of a different species, including one instance where a king penguin attempted to raise a brown skua chick.
    Adult brown skuas are natural enemies of king penguin chicks. Brown skua chicks, however, are brown with fuzzy down that may superficially resemble a newly hatched king penguin. A king penguin adult was seen pushing a brown skua chick onto its feet, apparently attempting to brood the skua as it would a newly hatched king penguin chick.

Both skua parents attempted a rescue by harassing the penguin. Twice they succeeded in taking their chick back, however, the determined king fought back and retook the chick by beating its flippers and pecking at the parents. Human intervention by one of the observers finally ended the conflict and the chick was returned back to its real parents." Found here

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that, gardenmaeve.

Posted

There are so many interesting things we all learn through Penguin Watch! 😃

Posted