Penguin Watch Talk

Galapagos Penguins

• jennfurr by jennfurr

Is there any chance there may be some cameras set up to monitor Galapagos Penguins in the future?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Interesting question. Dr Tom Hart is in the Antarctic just now so communications are slow. We can certainly ask. 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I am afraid they are out of the project focus 😕

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Edited for correct information: We did get to see a few relatives in a rockhopper rookery last season though- perhaps this season will have a few wanderers. 😃
    Look at this link, Magellanic visitor.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

I'm sorry @gardenmaeve but this is actually a #Magellanic penguin not Galapagos. They are very close relatives and look similar to each other. Just Galapagos pengs are endemic to Galapagos islands, and Magellanics do appear in Falklands.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Of course, @yshish. Thank you. 😃 I'm sorry about that. Not enough sleep for me. I corrected my comments on that image.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Don't worry at all @gardemaeve. I confidently saw a Galapagos penguin on a programme and confidently said 'Aha! A Magellanic!' Then realised that it something different. I decide to stick with our PW friends after that. 'You can't win them all' as they say 😉

(Hope you get some good sleep soon by the way 😉 )

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

NP, they aren't as famous as other penguin species, most people even don't know they exist! 😃

Posted