Penguin Watch Talk

Species Classification

• lchad by lchad

I just realized that there are tabs below the main image showing the species of penguin (doesn't show up on my computer screen unless I scroll). Should I be changing the tab for the penguin type for each image? It doesn't specifically address this issue in the tutorial.

Posted

• brian-c by brian-c admin

The images at the bottom are just for reference.

Posted

• pingu98 by pingu98

It would be helpful to be able to zoom in on the photographs so that you can check whether its a penguin or not as some of the photos are taken from far-away or awkward angles where you cant tell if its an animal or a rock. Just a thought as ive had a bit of trouble trying to see how many penguins there are.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I asked about this issue some of the scientists, but haven't got answer yet. It's not in the tutorial but I realized that in the classification it says "For each type of animals in the image, select it from the list, then click to mark its center." So I'm confused whether it makes a difference when I switch the species there or not.

Posted

• SarahtheEntwife by SarahtheEntwife

Should we be using hashtags for penguin species?

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

I think we are just counting, The scientists know what species come to the different sites. The images are basically so we can see what a chick of the species looks so we can tell if it is adult or chick we are looking at. Am I right, scientists?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

I got answer from @caitlin.black

"This bar is just a guide to help you distinguish between adults and chicks for each species. Don't worry about which species is there- we are aware of which ones we are monitoring at each site."

Posted