Penguin Watch Talk

Change "OK" button to "Done Marking" ?

• Michigan286 by Michigan286

Hi PW. I have a suggestion. I am teaching people on my account. People have a tendency to click "Adults" and then to immediately click "OK" rather than moving the cursor to the photo to start marking. If you changed that button to read "Done" or "Done Marking" I think that would keep people on track.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

I think that sounds like a good idea to me too - I nearly forgot a few times! Zuzi, NickyPeng, Kruseau - any ideas about this suggestion from Michigan 286 please?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'll second (or third) this proposal as well.

It doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult thing to change... although, to be fair, sometimes those end up being the toughest, the ones that seem the easiest! 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Maybe it could say "finished" for the English teachers in our lives?
    😃

Posted

Inspired by you all...A bit wordy - but how about 'I've checked for all of these - finished' ?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Hm, I think it needs something easier for the noenglish speakers! 'Finish' sounds more understandable.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Ha, I realized that in the Plankton Portal, we have a 'Finish' button instead of the 'OK' one. It's pretty clear (no one has ever asked what is that button for:] I would definitely change the OK for the Finish one.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Alright, then, are we agreed? Replace "OK" with "Finish?"

I can probably get a dev to take care of that faiiiiirly quickly... (although there's a chance it might be tougher than it seems) ...

Let me know, and I'll try to effect it ASAP. Thanks!!

Posted

If you're looking for my vote, yes, I agree. And thanks to gardenmaeve for the grammar lesson -- I had not heard of the distinction between "done" and "finished" before!

Posted

A cake is "done" baking, while a person is "finished" with a task. I only mentioned the point in respect for non-native English speakers, who should be given accurate wording when possible.

Posted

Hi Darren, Michigan 268 and gardenmaeve,
    I thoroughly support gardenmaeve's suggestion - and the thoughtful reasoning behind it.
    Best wishes to all,
    AvastMH

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay. I'm adding it to the feature request repo right now!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to DZM's comment.

Great, thanks!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This has been accomplished. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Posted

So shall we see the 'Finish' one in the classification already? (I can see the OK one there)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

Be sure that you're looking at the last button in the classification process?

"OK" will appear up until clicking will end and submit the classification, at which case "Finish" will appear.

It works for me... Is it working for you?

Posted

Oh, but we wanted to change the button below the adult - chick - egg - other options since it was the one which confused newbies and they hit that after choosing the adult option but before marking any penguin - so it takes them to the Thank you page instead of confirming the Adult choice as they think it should do.

Please, could you ask the developers for changing that OK button for the Finish one as well?

Thank you 😃

Posted

... But that shouldn't happen. When they select "adults" but don't mark anything, clicking "OK" should bring them to the "have you marked every penguin" prompt, not the "thank you" page.

If they got to the "have you marked every penguin" prompt, they still have the chance to go back and mark the penguins, don't they?

But you'd still like to see the "OK" button say "done marking" or something on the actual marking page, is what you're saying?

Posted

Sorry, I meant the 'Have you marked..' button. Anyway, look at the first comment in this thread. It explains, that this button below the Adult-Chick-Egg.. is the problematic one. No one was talking about the last button here 😃

As for the Back button, I've just tried to click the YES, then chose Adult option and clicked the OK button. Then I hit the BACK button which took me back to the classification page but didn't let me mark anything. So I tried to hit the BACK button again, which took me to the 'Are there any animals present' question, I chose YES and then I was finally able to mark any penguins as adults! I think this was reported at the beginning of the project. I think you will agree that it isn't very useful.

Anyway, I think it would be great to change this 'OK' button for the 'Finish' one as it is used at other projects. It could prevent the confusion 😃

Thank you!

Posted

(For the case it wasn't clear, the BACK button doesn't allow me to mark any animals!! I have to go two screens back and then one screen forward to be able to mark them.)

Posted

Oh, jeez, well THAT'S an evil bug.

Let me try to get that fixed before anything else. That should NOT happen.

Posted

Thank you! 😃 (Anyway, we would love to have the Finish button below the adult-chick options, if it wasn't big problem for the developers)

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I can try to get to that, but that's priority #2 now. There is no reason that clicking "back" shouldn't let you resume marking. That's dumb and I wanna get it fixed first. It would tangentially solve the second problem, but we can still do that, too!

I think it should say "Finished Marking" or "Done Marking" or something, since it isn't to "finish" the entire classification, you still have one more step to go through?

EDIT: Actually, you CAN mark if you click the "adult" button again after going back from the "marked all?" page.

Posted

Agree, the BACK button issue is #1 priority for sure.

OK, 'Finished Marking' sounds great. I just tried to make it short but understandable for foreigners. 'Finish' is much more international than 'Done':] Trust me.

No, you have to chose something else like Chick or Egg.. than Adult to be able to mark. It doesn't allow you to mark when clicking on the Adult option.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ah, you are correct. You have to click something else first. DEFINITELY want to get that fixed. Putting it in as a bug report right now.

Posted

Thank you, Darren!

Btw, when we're discussing the Back buttons.. Has someone considered making the Back button functional even after clicking on the No button (on the firsts screen)? This comment is pretty common: http://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/subjects/APZ0003m7i

It could have some reason I'm not aware of. If it does, please, share it with us, so we could explain that in the FAQs.

Thanks.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I actually put something for this through with the request to change "OK" to "finish marking": could selecting "no" or "can't tell" make it say "finish" instead of "OK"? That way it's clear that selecting either of those will finish the classification.

But to be fair, people will only make that mistake once. 😃 The reason for it would probably be that there needs to be a point at which the classification is formally logged. If we add an extra step before it is formally logged, that will slow the process of getting rid of junk images for experienced classifiers.

Posted

I'm sorry, but not sure whether you're asking me or just sharing your question for the developers.. ?

That reason with slowing the process makes sense!😃

Thank you.

Posted

Thank you for the "Finish" button! Perhaps there have been other tweaks- the site is working very quickly and smoothly this evening.

We appreciate the efforts of all on the Zooniverse Team, Moderators, scientists...everyone.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thank you, @gardenmaeve --!

Everyone check out the site today... I think you'll be happy with the bug fixes! All of the issues that I know of should be fixed now; let me know if you run into anything that isn't!!

Posted

Oh gosh...this is just so much better 😄 Thanks to all who partook in this excellent improvement...

Posted

I love it! It's simply perfect. Kudos to the developers! and thanks for your help, Darren 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

You're welcome! I'm very happy that I was able to get this one done. I like having an interface that is clear and runs smoothly!

Posted

• mkmcguir by mkmcguir

Also, can we not be able to click ok on the first choice until we have chosen? I have accidentally clicked though on accident.

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator in response to yshish's comment.

About the problem of going BACK and then not being able to mark anything - that happens to me, but if you click on CHICKS, then ADULT again it seems to work OK.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Have you tried the fixed classification? It shouldn't happen anymore 😃

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Thanks Yshish, I'll try it.

The new "Finished marking" button is great. Thanks DZM

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to mkmcguir's comment.

Thanks mkmcguir - a point well raised. I agree that this is an error - I just tried it and the fault is still there. I'll start this as a new thread to save confusion with the faults now fixed.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to AvastMH's comment.

... That fault no longer happens for me. It's still happening to you?

When I go back, I can mark things just fine, instantly, no need to click "chicks-then-adults."

Is it still happening for multiple other people?

Posted

I've just tried to click on the OK button without choosing the Yes/No/I can't tell option and it took me directly to the Thank you for your classification page 😦

Posted

Ah, good point, it shouldn't do that! Will put it through.

Any word on if the back-button-then-can't-mark bug is still there?

Posted

No reports about a back button issue since the button change.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay; awesome! I've put through the other thing as a request. It might take a little while, but it's in the system!

For now, just be sure you make your selection before clicking OK! 😃

Posted

Great, thank you, Darren! 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We've set default values for the first and third stage, so now there's always something selected. Saves two clicks for the most common selections, too!

Posted

Great solution DZM and techies. That seems to work very well 😄

Posted

Agreed- both defaults work smoothly and make sense. Good intuitive set-up. Thank you!

Posted

Actually - I'm just wondering about the second page being 'too many to count' by default. Is this safe? I'd prefer this still to be the counter's choice. Having 'yes' on the first page is perfectly safe - if you forget to change it you can always head backwards and change that to 'no' or 'can't tell'. But I think that 'marked all' or 'too many' is a decision for the counter and we shouldn't influence that at all. Am I being to picky?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

That was scientist Caitlin's request's for the default.

I would also prefer eventually that there's no default, and that you have to select one or the other before you can click OK, but this is still better than what we had before. It's still the counter's choice, of course!

Posted

Very true - point taken. And thanks again DZM - it really is much better than the previous situation 😃

Posted

Hi Folks. I haven't been here in a while, and I think the changes you have made are a big improvement! It's especially helpful to have a default marked. Anything that reduces mouse work is good.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Michigan286's comment.

Glad to hear that. Thanks for your feedback! 😃

Zuzi

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Michigan286's comment.

Thanks, @Michigan286 --! It was a team effort.

I'm glad that you like the defaults, as we weren't sure if that was the best way to go about stuff, but if they're appreciated, we'll keep them there!

Posted