Penguin Watch Talk

Counting King Chicks

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

I'm trying hard to count all I can see, but sometimes I have to give up on King Penguin chicks. They all huddle together very close, they're all one color (no helpful b/w contrast) and they're naturally fuzzy. When they aren't close to the camera they blend together so much I'm really clicking at random. So I give up on them. Zooming seems to just blend them together even more. Any ideas or suggestions?

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Hello Shiphrah,
    Firstly, well done for trying so hard with this group. Some of their photos are very poor quality so it is hard to manage a count. I guess that's the problem with remote photography out in the wilds of Antarctica.
    As you say they are all the same colour and huddle closely, and often at a bit of a distance which does not help either.
    About 10 or so people mark each photo so there is a good chance that someone else will find it easier, and so a good count will be registered. Also we are happy to accept a mark of 30, then submit as 'too many to count'. But of course we are delighted when you kindly make the efforts that you have done, and try to mark them all.

So here are a couple of tips that might help:
    Try adjusting your screen contrast to full
    Just mark those on the front border of the creche
    If your marker crosses are getting in the way you can use the 'hide old marks' icon (just above the top right of your picture) to get those marks out of sight to allow you to add more. Then click that icon again to get to see all of your crosses.
    Don't try to mark the penguin directly, mark any part of the screen, then drag your magnifying circle over to the penguin. Your previous crosses don't show up under that circle.

I do hope that these help - let me know how you get on with the next King penguin photo!
    Best wishes,
    Joan (AvastMH)

Posted