Penguin Watch Talk

Software Enhancement Suggestion

• albe by albe

Could a feature be added to the cross-hairs to remove the circle automatically when a selection is made. It would be great if the magnification circle is present for 1/2 - 1/4 second, then disappear without making a new selection. I find it extremely frustrating when selection penguins in a group to have to either close the cross-hair circle before a new selection or pick a penguin outside the group then go back to the group.

Also, could you add to the each user profile the number of penguins selected. I curious how many I have selected since I started.

Thanks

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hi albe

I had the same problem when I started on PenguinWatch, but you can get around it.
    The magnification circle can be dragged or pushed around.
    So if you are marking a group of penguins, you can mark one and then click nearby to open the next magnification circle (which will close the first circle), then you can drag or push the new circle onto the next penguin.
    Its a little hard to describe, but I hope you can work out what I mean.

There isn't a facility to record the number of penguins each user has counted. But the number of photos you have classified is recorded.
    You can see that by going to the Zooniverse website https://www.zooniverse.org/, sign in and under the "signed in as..." tab, go to "projects" and it will show which projects you are involved in and for PenguinWatch it will tell you how many photos you have classified.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Can I just add one other tip? I do the same as Nickypeng when penguins are close together. Sometimes it helps to use the 'hide old marks' to get rid of, say, adult marks whilst you want to get on with marking a heap of chicks 😃 You can switch the hide marks button as often as you like to help 😃

Posted

• albe by albe in response to Nickypeng's comment.

Nickypeng,

I currently use the process you outlined. I gets the job done but is rather tedious. I rather just have an option that I could keep clicking away at a group without having to 'drag/push'.

albe

Posted

• Nickypeng by Nickypeng moderator

Hi Yshish, DZM

Albe has an interesting suggestion here - any thoughts on it from a technical perspective?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to Nickypeng's comment.

I'm sorry I can't tell by myself. Would need to discuss that with Can or someone else from the team. But they are pretty busy these days.. Maybe @DZM could be more helpful with the answer?

Z.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Nickypeng's comment.

So, I can add it to our list of "features that we'd love to add," but if it's not something that's straight-up preventing classifying, it's probably not anything I can get dev time on anytime soon... unfortunately, they're very busy building new projects (and the overall next iteration of Zooniverse), and their time is limited.

I definitely understand that the current system is making the process a bit more frustrating, and there are probably a few things that we'd like to change if we had limitless dev time, but for now, I'm not sure PW is up for anything in the way of "improvements." We're focusing that time on Plankton Portal at the moment.

Does that make sense... ? It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but sadly, we do have to focus our resources...

Posted