Penguin Watch Talk

South Sandwich Islands, Saunders Island

• wquimby by wquimby

Recently I was aboard a boat with the fortune to land on Saunders Island in the South Sandwich Islands. Our expedition leader changed a memory card in a camera on the island which has a chinstrap and macaroni colony. Are any of these pictures from South Sandwich? It would be nice to see some ID marking of where the photo was taken.

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

How exciting wquimby! That's very interesting we like to hear stories about visits to Antarctica 😄 We've never managed to get the sites identified for real, thus the number of nicknames we have) A few we do know, like Petermann Island ('Sooty' & 'Twin Pillars') and Salisbury Plains on South Georgia (the King penguins). I don't know that we have any cameras on Saunders Island - but we might. Our Macaronis at a site we called Tussocks. I've got a collections here: https://talk.penguinwatch.org/#/collections/CPZS000190 We think it might be Cooper Bay South Georgia 😃

If you spot anywhere that you know please do let us know 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to wquimby's comment.

Hey,

Yes, we do have some cameras on South Sandwich!! 😃 Sadly, I cannot remember which one they were... I'll try to go through my collections when I find some time, and if I find out, I'll share some pictures with you.

So exciting! 😃

Cheers,
    Zuzi

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Ah, here is definitely one from the Saunders island with chinstraps all around! APZ0004qt0 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Oh - I didn't know that Zuzi! Thanks so much 😃

Posted