Penguin Watch Talk

How to talk about photos

• JMC2208 by JMC2208

When I click 'yes' to talk about a photo I just marked, it takes me to the talk page, but I don't see the photo I just marked and I don't know how to create a collection or load the photo for comment. Am I missing something? It would be nice if there was a 'how-to' section in the Help.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve moderator

Sorry you're having some trouble, @JMC2208 . When you chose Yes to talk about the image you've just classified it should take you to a Talk page with only that photo at the top of the page. You would click in the blank comment box, and type in whatever you wanted to say. If you chose No, a new image would load so you could continue classifying. The only way I can think of to end up on the full Talk page with all the Recent photos would be if you clicked on Discuss or Recent instead of the Yes/No choice.

To start a collection while classifying an image you could click on the little heart over the image. From the comment page you'd click on the word "Collect", in the image's top left corner, and either have one collection called Favorites (default title) or make other collections by giving a different title to whatever groups you'd like to have.

Posted

• JMC2208 by JMC2208

I have been clicking 'Yes' and every time I get to the full talk page and cannot comment on my photo. I have nothing urgent to say, I just want to join in the talk community.

Posted

Yes. of course you do, and we want you to join in! Let me think about this.... I'll see if I can duplicate the issue you're having and come back here.😃 OK... back again.

Just to run through the steps you've been able to follow:

1. When you are on the classification page, you mark at least 30 penguins,
    2. Then you choose either "I have marked every penguin OR "Too many penguins to count"
      3)Then you have a choice of either Yes (you want to talk and should see just the photo you just finished for you to comment on) or No (you'll be sent to another image for classification )

As I understand it, when you choose that "Yes" for commenting you instead find yourself on the Talk page also found when you click on Recent or Discuss (depending on where you are when you click).

OK. If the above steps match what you are doing, please try this for me: Next time you are about to choose Yes or No for comments, please instead click on "Profile" at the top of the Classification page. This takes you to all the images you yourself have classified. Do you see your photos there (most recent will be first)? (This is NOT the same as clicking Profile when on the Talk pages.)

Posted

• JMC2208 by JMC2208

If it helps, I am using Safari 8.0.8 on a MacBook Pro.

Posted

That is good to know, thanks. If you'll try the action suggested above that information, we'll understand a bit more more.
    If you DO try going to your Profile from Classification and if you DO see your photos there, click on any one and try to comment. Let me know what happens, please. 😃

I'll also let my fellow moderators know. ( @AvastMH and @yshish does this ring any bells?)

Posted

• JMC2208 by JMC2208

Ok, I clicked on Profile and was able to see all the photos i have classified, but when i click on a photo, it takes me to the full talk page, not the photo for comment. Persistent little bug. :-\

Posted

• JMC2208 by JMC2208

On a related note, when i try to share a photo to FB, it creates a link to the talk page, not to the photo.

Posted

Thank you. OK, I'll have to see what we can find out about this-

In the meantime here are some techniques that often will clear such an annoying bug:

1. Have you tried something other than Safari? Chrome or Firefox for example. I don't recommend Internet Explorer because there have been so many reports of problems.
    2. Have you cleared your cache of history and cookies?
    3. Have you tried a Private window setting (keeps cookies and history from clogging the works, so to speak.)?

Posted

At least you know your classifications are being recorded. 😃 I've sent you a Private Message. click on 1 next to the little envelope, top right corner of the screen. 😃

I'm heading out for a little while, but one of us will be around from time to time so feel free to keep us posted here.

Posted

• sokru by sokru

I had the same problem when using Safari 9.0.3. Clicking "yes" after classifying it always took me to the frontpage of the Talk Pages.

I just downloaded Firefox and with that, when I click "yes, i want to talk" or click the photo through the profile page, I can make a comment to the photo like I wanted!

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator

Thanks so much sokru, so just to clarify, you had trouble with Safari, but Firefox was fine? And could you let me know what time today you had the safari problem? and what type of machine you use (computer, tablet, android phone)?

Thanks so much. just trying to narrow it down for our IT folk. 😃

Posted

• sokru by sokru in response to AvastMH's comment.

Hey!

I had the problem April 23, around 11pm checked from the comment I made at that time), so about 1,5 hours ago. (Oh yeah, I live in Finland which is UTC +2/3, so now that it's summertime it's +3?)

I have a computer, Mac Book Pro with Yosemite 10.10.5.

With Safari 9.0.3 I had the problem (clicking "yes" I always ended up to the talk.penguinwatc.org frontpage)
    I downloaded Firefox 45.0.2 and with this everything seems to work (clicking "yes" redirects me to the photo and I can comment below it).

Happy I can help!

Posted

Thanks very much, @sokru ! We appreciate your input.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator

Thanks for all that information!

@gardenmaeve @AvastMH Has any of you reported that on GitHub?

Posted

No- we've waited since it seems so easy to resolve with updated/different servers. Would you like to report it? 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator, translator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Hm, not sure it is necessary.. (Just in case if you did so then it would be good to share the 'solution' there too 😃)

Posted

Agreed. If we decide we need to post it on GitHub we will also post the solution. 😃

Posted

• AvastMH by AvastMH moderator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

Hello - I have not reported it since a fix was found. Had the problem arisen again I would have posted it, with the fix as gardenmaeve suggests 😃

Posted